Security Guideline for DESY Notebooks centrally supported by DV Zeuthen with Scientific Linux Version 4
Support by - DV - for linux on notebooks is scheduled to end in summer 2006.
The support is available for C400, D410, D600, D610, X300 and X1.
You have to upgrade to the DV supported version (SL4). Please contact email@example.com
See also Stephan Wiesand's Talk !
Before traveling and always when your notebook is attached to the network:
- login with your acoount with an empty password (possible only in front of the notebook). If this is not possible use the guest account the first time.
- Connect to the network by running the command
- using cable based interface with: lan start using the wireless interface: wlan start
- Each time a network interface is started, an automated check for avalaible updates is performed in the background. There's nothing to be done but accepting the updates offered.
- manually: nbctl sync
- without DESY synchronization: nbctl yum
if you notice suspicious files or activities please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lock the screen with a special xlock-password for which you will be asked the first time
- Arrange for secure password-less access to the notebook with ssh key authentication
Please read the Release Notes